Source: Hollow's Last Hope, pg(s). 15
A tatzlwyrm (pronounced TATZ-el-werm) is a small, wingless cousin of the larger true dragons. Tatzlwyrms slither through the upper foliage of the forest, attempting to wrap themselves around their victims from above.
Tatzlwyrms are serpentine, green-scaled dragonkin about 12 to 14 feet long from nose to tailtip, and weigh 400 pounds. All of these creatures have a row of long spines running along its back from head to tail, as well as scaly dewlaps at their throat. Tatzlwyrms reach adult size after six months, and can survive as long as 20 or 30 years in the wild.
A cousin to larger dragons, these wyrms have two arms with claws at the end of each hand, allowing them to easily climb trees. A long, powerful, and flexible tail extends beyond these arms. A tatzlwyrm's head rests above the arms, exuding poisonous misty green breath.
Habitat & EcologyEdit
There are different breeds of tatzlwyrm in the world, each attracted to older sites in its preferred habitat. Tatzlwyrms live in the deepest forests, mountains, and even underground.
Ferocious, yet cunning, tatzlwyrms lie in wait for their prey, eating anything from rabbits to deer to men after catching them by surprise. After their meals, these beasts often collect leftover inedible parts amassing small hordes of bones and sometimes even valuable equipment, a small remnant to the great hordes of their true dragon ancestors. Instead of a powerful breath weapon, tatzlwyrms produce a slight green poisonous mist which affects the victim on contact.
These creatures are more primitive than dragons, having split from the evolutionary tree before the development of the true dragons. They can only understand a limited amount of Draconic. Yet they are cunning enough to construct relatively elaborate, trap-filled lairs.
Strict carnivores, they are good at ambush and traps, often luring prey with fruit or game carcasses before attacking from a hidden position.
Too lazy to burrow or build elaborate lairs, tatzlwyrms nest in natural hollows such as caves or rotten trees. They feel the dragon's need to hoard, but collect bones and worthless glittering trinkets along with gems.
During mating season, male and female tatzylwyrms nest together as the female gestates eggs for a month. The hatchlings stay in the nest for several months before they are expelled, and the adult pair usually breaks up violently. These violent, relentless killers often slay one another following mating, which usually results in only one to three surviving young.
Although most tatzylwyrms breep in deep forests, a few prefer volcanoes and have a natural resistance to fire.
- Living in Wolfrun Hills, the wyrm known as Claw-eye is exceptionally aggressive, even for it's kind. This is believed to be from a wound caused from a dragon or wyvern claw he took to the eye, which has since healed over.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 247. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Tim Hitchcock. (2010). Stolen Land. Stolen Land, p. 82-83. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-229-6
- ↑ Jason Bulmahn, & F. Wesley Schneider. (2007). Hollow's Last Hope, p. 15. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Jason Bulmahn, & F. Wesley Schneider. (2007). Hollow's Last Hope, p. 16. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- ↑ Mike McArtor. (2008). Guide to Darkmoon Vale, p. 21. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-100-8
- ↑ Mike McArtor. (2008). Guide to Darkmoon Vale, p. 22. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-100-8