The Varisian Gulf, or Varisian Bay, is one of the most prominent features of the Varisian landscape, providing the border for most of the western edge of the land. Formed when the empire of Thassilon shattered over ten thousand years ago, the Gulf is all the remains of much of the western holdings of the once-great nation. In modern times, few know of the Thassilonian relics that rest beneath the waves, yet the few remnants of the lost empire that still stand on dry land on the Gulf's edges, such as Hollow Mountain and the ruins of the Irespan in Magnimar remain as reminders of nations lost to the depths.
Separated from the Arcadian Ocean on its western edge by a large archipelago, the waters of the Varisian Gulf are relatively calm, leading to the establishment of a number of large port cities on its shore. Both Magnimar and Riddleport rest on the Gulf, and trade is heavy through its waters. And, as with anywhere that trade is easy and plentiful, pirates sail the waves in search of plunder.
Flora & FaunaEdit
The Varisian Gulf is home to a wide variety of creatures, many of them dangerous to the people who dwell near its seemingly placid waters. Among the most notorious are the swamp barracuda, bunyip, devilfish, and reefclaw. There have also been reported frightening encounters with merfolk by sailors who ventured too near their lands.
- ↑ James L. Sutter. (2007). Varisia. The Hook Mountain Massacre, p. 69. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-038-4
- ↑ Greg A. Vaughan. (2008). Bestiary. Shadow in the Sky, p. 87. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-115-2
- ↑ James Jacobs. (2007). Burnt Offerings. Burnt Offerings, p. 33. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-035-3
- ↑ Nicolas Logue, & Mike McArtor. (2008). Bestiary. Edge of Anarchy, p. 80. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-088-9
- ↑ Nicolas Logue, & Mike McArtor. (2008). Bestiary. Edge of Anarchy, p. 88. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-088-9